By Levi Clancy for Student Reader on
Three Rivers Petroglyph Site consists of thousands of petroglyphs scattered over fifty acres of a long ridgetop near the western base of the Sacramento mountains in central southern New Mexico.
They were drawn by the Mogollon of the Jornada desert between AD 900 and 1400. The area may have been religiously significant, a lookout area for game, or perhaps was a popular route. There is a village just south of the site where the artists likely lived. Archaeologists have identified several prehistoric settlements or villages in the vicinity, and some reconstructions have been built. The region was later occupied by predecessors of the Mescalero Apaches, long after the Mogollon had abandoned it, and their reservation is nearby. Of note, today there is a campground for tourists, and nearby is the Mescalero Apache reservation, White Sands National Monument and the historic town of Lincoln.